Mindful Chef’s healthy recipe of the week: steak with heritage tomato salad & salsa verde
Our take on the Italian panzanella salad is made with sweet heritage tomatoes, crispy garlic roasted potatoes and topped with slices of juicy steak and a fresh herb salsa verde dressing.
Recipe for two people, halve the ingredients for one person
435 calories • 25g carbs • 22g fat • 36g protein
180g heritage cherry tomatoes
1 red onion
200g baby white potatoes
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp oil
2 x 150g flat iron steak
Medium handful of flat-leaf parsley
Medium handful of fresh mint
1. Preheat the oven to 220C / gas mark 7.
2. Roughly chop the baby potatoes into small 1cm pieces. Heat a frying pan with 1/2 tbsp oil on a medium heat and add the potatoes. Season with sea salt and black pepper and cook for 3 mins until lightly golden. Meanwhile, finely dice the garlic then add to the pan for the last minute. Spoon the potatoes onto a baking tray and place in the oven for 10 mins until turning golden.
3. Thinly slice the red onion. Place half of the red onion in a bowl with only half of the vinegar and 1 tbsp cold water, mix then leave to pickle.
5. To make the salsa verde; finely chop the parsley, mint leaves and capers. Mix together in a small bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp cold water and the remaining vinegar. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
6. Slice the tomatoes in half and thinly slice the steaks.
7. Divide the rocket between two plates then scatter over the tomatoes, garlic potatoes and pickled red onion. Place the steak slices and cooked red onion on top and drizzle with the salsa verde.